Pizza has taken Nigeria by storm, captivating the taste buds of the younger generation and becoming a popular choice among food enthusiasts. With the establishment of pizza food chains like Domino’s across Africa, including Nigeria, this delightful dish has become easily accessible, although it can sometimes be a bit pricey.
Surprisingly, making pizza from scratch is quite straightforward with just a little effort and basic ingredients, such as pizza dough, cheese, tomato sauce, and an assortment of vegetables and meats. There are various recipes utilizing different types of dough and bread as the base, offering a wide range of options from thin to thick crusts and various toppings.
Although different countries have put their unique spin on pizza-making, I decided to give it a Nigerian identity. I found the perfect base for my experiment – Agege Bread!
A staple in Nigeria, Agege Bread is a dense, sweet type of bread with a soft and doughy texture that works perfectly for making pizza. The result was fantastic, and I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with everyone.
Nigerian Pizza Recipe
- Agege bread
- Tomato sauce
- Grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
- Variety of chopped vegetables (e.g., onions, green peppers, etc.)
- Cooked or roasted chicken shreds (Other types of meat can be used too.)
- Fresh herbs (basil or thyme)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven.
- Slice the Agege bread across its breadth and place the slices on an oven tray.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the tomato sauce by mixing tomato paste, olive oil, warm water, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly on the sliced bread.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of the sauce.
- Add the chopped onions, green peppers, shredded chicken, and any other toppings of your choice.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the pizza for added flavor.
- Place the pizza in the preheated oven with the top grill on, as the bread is already cooked and doesn’t require much further cooking.
- Allow the pizza to cook for about 10 minutes, checking regularly to avoid burning.
- Once done, serve the delicious Nigerian pizza hot and get ready to receive requests for more, especially from your kids!
With just a few simple steps, you can enjoy a flavorful fusion of Nigerian and pizza traditions. This unique creation is sure to impress your taste buds and add a touch of Nigeria to the beloved Italian classic. So why wait? Give it a try and savor the mouthwatering delight that is Nigerian pizza!
Original Blog Source: Funke Koleosho’s Blog