Dedicated to God, Museum of the Bible Opens with Prayer and Fanfare

Dedicated to God, Museum of the Bible Opens with Prayer and Fanfare



With Scripture readings, a tribute to God and a sigh of relief, an international array of officials opened the Museum of the Bible in the nation’s capital.


“We want to just take a moment and stop and celebrate and rejoice that this dream is coming true,” said museum co-founder Steve Green, who exhaled audibly before speaking Friday (Nov. 17) to more than 400 people in the new museum’s World Stage Theater.


“This is a dream of millions all over the world that love this book, that use it as a guide for their life, and we just want to take some time and celebrate and dedicate this space to our God.”


Green, the president of the Hobby Lobby craft store business, and his family are the primary funders of the 430,000-square-foot building with views of the U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument.


Green capped a dedication ceremony that featured greetings read by Washington’s Cardinal Donald Wuerl from Pope Francis and by Israeli Tourism Minister Yariv Levin from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The dignitaries concluded the festivities with a ribbon-cutting between the 40-foot brass Gutenberg Gates at the museum’s entrance.


The eight-story museum is set to open to the public on Saturday. Admission is free but donations are suggested.


Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson and Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., were among the supporters in the…

… Read More

Click here to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Christian Headlines.

قالب وردپرس

SC High Court Rejects Breakaway Diocese’s Appeal to Decision Giving Properties to Episcopal Church

(Photo: Wikimedia Commons)The building of the South Carolina Supreme Court, located in Columbia, South Carolina.

The South Carolina Supreme Court has denied a motion by a breakaway diocese to reconsider a decision granting ownership of nearly all of their properties to The Episcopal Church.

In a divided decision released Friday, the state’s highest court denied a motion from the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina, with the motion failing to get the necessary majority vote from the judges.

“In light of the above, the petitions for rehearing have failed to recieve a majority vote. Therefore the petitions for rehearing have been denied, and the opinions previously filed in this case reflect the final decision of this Court,” stated the denial notice.

The decision garnered praise from The Episcopal Church in South Carolina, which is the name for those Episcopalians within the diocese who stayed loyal to the national denomination.

Expand | Collapse
(Photo: Joy Hunter)The Reverend Mark Lawrence, bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina, on the steps of Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul in Charleston, South Carolina, in April of 2014.

In a statement released Sunday, TECSC Bishop Skip Adams expressed thanks for the decision, but also said that “the hope of…

… Read More

—-

Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – The Christian Post.

قالب وردپرس

Inspired by Greggs controversy, artist paints Jesus with sausage roll, ketchup

 

Nathan Wyburn, a former Britain’s Got Talent contestant, said he uses food, glitter and anything he can for his work.

He told Premier about the motive for his new masterpiece.

He said: “Honestly it was just a little fun, people were upset that Greggs replaced baby Jesus with a sausage roll so I took it upon myself to bring him back!

“So to speak… It’s light humour with no harm intended obviously. I work with food a lot in my artwork anyway and it just seemed fitting.

“Art is meant to spark conversation and I think it does that.”

Wyburn  uploaded a video showing how he created the portrait of Jesus. 

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGzYbEJjQLk&w=560&h=315]

He said he ate the sausage roll afterwards.

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس

Despite Law, State Department Misses Deadline to Name Religious Freedom Violators

Despite Law, State Department Misses Deadline to Name Religious Freedom Violators



The U.S. State Department often misses its deadline to release a list of the world’s worst violators of religious freedom — or doesn’t release a list at all. This year, Congress had hoped to break it of the habit.


In December, lawmakers passed a law mandating that the department name those “Countries of Particular Concern” within 90 days of releasing its International Religious Freedom report.


That report came out on Aug. 15, making Monday (Nov. 13) the deadline for the State Department. But there is still no list of CPCs, even though Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said religious freedom is a “human rights priority” for the Trump administration.


The delay bothers some religious freedom watchdogs, including members of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, an independent, bipartisan body set up by Congress in 1998 to monitor the issue.


“Failing to designate CPCs tells the violators of religious freedom around the world that the United States is looking away,” USCIRF Chairman Daniel Mark said in a written statement.


The Countries of Particular Concern are a list of nations that violate religious freedom in a “systematic, ongoing, and egregious” way, according to USCIRF.


USCIRF must provide its own list of recommended CPCs to the State Department by May 1, according to the International Religious Freedom…

… Read More

Click here to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Christian Headlines.

قالب وردپرس

Prayer plea amid Lebanon political turmoil

Embrace the Middle East, a Christian charity, has asked for believers intercede for the nation, amid new uncertainty sparked by Saad Hariri’s (pictured below) announcement he was quitting as prime minister,.

Jamie Ayre from Embrace told Premier: “I think there is hope the situation will be resolved but I think we need to pray that the situation remains stable”.

 

Mr Hariri says he will return to Lebanon (Beirut, the capital of Lebanon, is pictured below) in the coming days and confirm his decision, despite President Michel Aoun saying he refused to accept the resignation.

The prime minister, who made the surprise announcement during a televised address in Saudi Arabia, denied he had been held in the capital, Riyadh, against his will.

The decision ignited speculation Mr Hariri was forced to leave his post as part of a regional struggle for power – principally between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Creative Commons

 

In the TV speech, he accused accused both Iran and its ally in Lebanon, Hezbollah, of trying to destabilise his country and the wider region.

Jamie Ayre added: “If it is true that Saudi Arabia was seeking to influence things, people fear that more they would do more and start to interfere with the economy.

“There are many Lebanese people living in Saudi and the Gulf; about $4.5 billion gets back in remittances back to Lebanon.

“It’s been really interesting speaking to Lebanese…

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس

Florida church puts up sign warning ‘we are heavily armed’

The pastor at River at Tampa Bay Church, which regularly broadcasts its services live on social media, put up a picture on his personal Instagram page to share the policy of the ‘private property’.

The sign reads: “Please know this is not a gun free zone — we are heavily armed — any attempt will be dealt with deadly force — yes we are a church and will protect our people.”

The message is signed from “The Pastors.”

  

Associate Pastor Allen Hawes told the Tampa Bay the posters at the 21-year-old church were put up about a year ago but Senior Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne posted it social media in the wake of the deadly church shooting in Texas that killed 26 congregants.

The post sparked a wide debate by social media users who questioned the church’s gun-carrying policy.

 

One user tweeted “Thou shall not kill…they must of missed that one” while another responded with “I don’t recall a ‘thou shall not defend thy self’ I do recall a ‘the one having no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one’.”

Hawes defended the church and said the sign served to act as “a deterrent”.

He added: “Look at what is going on. In the past two months, look at what happened in Texas. Look at what happened in Las Vegas.

“We want people to know that this is a safe zone.”

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس