Pizza is an import to Nigeria and because of its unique taste, it’s not surprising that it has become so popular, especially among the younger generation of Nigerians.
The establishment of pizza food companies such as Domino’s, in many African countries including Nigeria, has made pizza more accessible and it has become much more of a favourite fast food for an increasing number of people in Nigeria. The only thing is, it could be pricey!
Making pizza is actually quite straight forward. Just a little effort and of-course the basic ingredients including pizza dough/base, cheese, tomato sauce and a variety of vegetables and meat pieces, are all that’s required really.
I would say that making pizza dough is an easy process, but its not something that can be done quickly without effort. I have seen several recipes using different types of dough and bread as a base for making it. Different types of flatbreads, thin or thick crust bases, all sorts, have also been used.
It would seem that different countries have had their own spin on making pizza, so I thought I might also try to give Pizza a Nigerian identity..if possible. 😊😊😊😊
All I needed was to find a suitable base, some cheese, a good tomato sauce and a variety of my favourite vegetables and proteins. My first thoughts for a base.. Agege Bread.!
Agege Bread is Nigeria’s staple bread, which is a dense, sweet type of bread. Its also referred to as hard dough bread. The texture is quite soft and doughy and perfect for making pizza. Making pizza with Agege Bread was a hit first time..! It was quick to make, no stress and it was delicious.! Try it out.
What you need
- Agege bread
- Tomato sauce
- Grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
- Variety of chopped vegetables (eg onion, green pepper, etc)
- Chicken shreds (preferably cooked or roasted chicken. Other types of meat can also be used.)
- Fresh herbs (basil or thyme)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
What to do
- Slice the bread across its breadth and place it on an oven tray.
- Separately, make some tomato sauce by mixing some tomato paste, olive oil, warm water, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Spread sauce on the sliced bread evenly. Then top with grated cheese, followed by chopped onions, green peppers, and shredded chicken. (Also add other toppings of your choice.)
- Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Then place in a pre-heated oven with the top grill on. This will allow the pizza to cook from the top. Remember the bread is already cooked so it would not need much further cooking.
- Allow to cook for about 10 minutes, checking regularly to avoid burning.
- Serve hot. I promise you your kids will ask for more.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?- We have all sinned and deserve God's judgment. God, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him. Jesus, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He died for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was buried, and rose from the dead according to the Bible. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your Savior, declaring, "Jesus is Lord," you will be saved from judgment and spend eternity with God in heaven.
What is your response?
If you are not a Christian, and would like to become a Christian. Simply say - "LORD Jesus, thank you for forgiving me of my SINs, today I am deciding to follow you. Accept me into your family, in Jesus name I pray. Amen "
If you still have questions , click here to Contact Us, we are here to help
Unless otherwise specified, the news and opinions expressed are solely the source's and author's and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Christian Mail.