There is something about sticky starchy rice that I find really “sexy” and comforting. Some people love their rice al dente cooked/soft, I love mine a little mushy. And if paired with the right type of accompanying sauce, the eating experience is incredible..!
The Japanese are known for their incredible sticky rice which is the main ingredient for making sushi and rice cakes. And as would be logical to think, the stickiness is what makes it ideal for making sushi. One of its preferred properties is moisture retention. Some rice will dry out and become hard, almost like plastic, but the sticky rice tends to hold on to its moisture, especially when cold. So you do not get that hardness and dryness, two things you do not want in your rice dish.
In Nigerian cuisine, we have Tuwo Shinkafa, which is a dish made either from rice meal or rice cooked until very soft and then mashed up with a wooden spoon. This is usually served with a sauce, and I do actually love it served with a peanut sauce with chicken breast.
My Sticky Rice Cake is a “marriage” between our very own Tuwo Shinkafa, and Japanese rice cakes.! It’s a fun way to serve Tuwo Shinkafa, and it makes a spectacular display for lunch or dinner. The presentation is bound to make your family/friends/diners wonder.
What you need
- Sticky rice (not the easy cook variety)
- Fried plantain discs for presentation
- Precooked stew/sauce to serve
What to do
- Cook the rice as directed on the package. Note that sticky rice is really tricky to cook. I have found that cooking under low heat is the best otherwise what happens is, the rice will not cook through and the grains become brittle with a hardcore. Add some salt to taste.
- In the meantime, line the inside of the bowl/mold (that you want to use to form your cake shape) with cling film and carefully arrange your plantain disks into a bowl.
- Then when the rice is cooked, scoop a generous amount into the bowl, already containing the arranged plantain discs. Push down on the rice as you go along to ensure the rice grains come together and take the shape of the mold.
- When filled, cover the bowl with the platter you are serving your cake in, and turn the bowl upside down. Then carefully remove the bowl. The use of a cling film to line the bowl from the onset will make the removal easier,
- You are now done, and you can serve your rice.
Source : Food Blogger : Funke-koleosho
WHAT DO YOU THINK?- We have all sinned and deserve God's judgment. God, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him. Jesus, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He died for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was buried, and rose from the dead according to the Bible. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your Savior, declaring, "Jesus is Lord," you will be saved from judgment and spend eternity with God in heaven.
What is your response?
If you are not a Christian, and would like to become a Christian. Simply say - "LORD Jesus, thank you for forgiving me of my SINs, today I am deciding to follow you. Accept me into your family, in Jesus name I pray. Amen "
If you still have questions , click here to Contact Us, we are here to help
Unless otherwise specified, the news and opinions expressed are solely the source's and author's and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Christian Mail.