Archbishops Justin Welby and Vincent Nicholls submit recommendations to foreign office about persecuted Christians

Bishop Philip Mounstephen is currently conducting a review into the experiences of Christians in dangerous situations, commissioned by the Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Most Reverend Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and Cardinal Vincent Nicholls, the Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, said in a letter which accompanied their submission: “Christians form an important part of the social fabric in almost every country of the world. Yet in many places, our Christian sisters and brothers face persecution of an intensity and extent unprecedented in many centuries.

 

 

“Throughout recent years we have often travelled to the Middle East, the birthplace of our religion and one of those focal points of this persecution. There we have met with those who are suffering because of their faith. They have told us of having to flee their homes, beingstripped of all they own and seeing family members killed.”

They said their submission to the Foreign and Commonwealth’s inquiry was influenced by the people they have met and a commitment to making their voices heard.

The two heads of church denominations recommended that government focuses on making freedom of religion and belief a human right and have more joined-up thinking between religious freedom and the UK’s trade policies and aid decisions – and therefore not treat freedom of religion as an ‘isolated diplomatic…

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس

N.C. Gov. May Veto Bill Protecting Babies Who Survive Abortions

N.C. Gov. May Veto Bill Protecting Babies Who Survive Abortions



A spokesperson for North Carolina’s Democratic governor criticized Tuesday a bill that would require doctors to give life-saving medical attention to babies who survive abortion, raising the prospect he will veto it when it reaches his desk.


The Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act passed the North Carolina House of Representatives 65-46 Tuesday, one day after clearing the Senate 28-19. Republicans control both chambers. The bill’s text requires abortion doctors to treat a baby who survives an abortion the same way they would “any other child born alive at the same gestational age.” The bill also requires the baby be transported to the hospital.


But a spokesperson for North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said the bill targets abortion doctors. 


“This unnecessary legislation would criminalize doctors for a practice that simply does not exist,” Cooper spokesperson Ford Porter said, according to The Charlotte Observer. “Laws already exist to protect newborn babies and legislators should instead be focused on other issues like expanding access to health care to help children thrive.”


Earlier this month a woman named Melissa Ohden who miraculously survived her mother’s abortion attempt told U.S. senators that legislation is needed to protect babies who are in a similar situation. 


North Carolina state Rep. Pat McElraft, a Republican, said she…

… Read More

Click here to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Christian Headlines.

قالب وردپرس

5 Questions with Writer-Director of The Pilgrim’s Progress Animated Feature

5 Questions with Writer-Director of The Pilgrim’s Progress Animated Feature



Puritan preacher John Bunyan authored his classic allegory over 300 years ago. Now an award-winning director and his team—including some Pixar talent—are bringing it to the big screen.


The epic tale of a determined traveler and his quest for freedom plays out in The Pilgrim’s Progress, a feature-length animated film opening in theaters on April 18 and 20. Producers have spent five years reimagining one of the most popular and significant works of all time.


“We tried to stick to the original book as much as possible,” says Robert Fernandez, writer and director of the new animated feature. “Like any other project I’ve done, scripting is always a fight. We worked on draft after draft, fine-tuning, quoting verses and fighting it out. God came through with a solution and guidance.” 


First published in 1678, the allegory by Puritan minister John Bunyan has long been ranked as one of the Top 10 most-printed books in history. Referenced by figures from preacher Charles Spurgeon to humorist Mark Twain to apologist C.S. Lewis, its influence has marked the church and popular culture for centuries.


A fast-paced, action-packed adaptation, The Pilgrim’s Progress features voice actors including John Rhys-Davies (The Lord of the Rings), Ben Price (Audacity) and Christian singer/songwriter Kristyn Getty. 


Director Robert Fernandez spoke from…

… Read More

Click here to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Christian Headlines.

قالب وردپرس

Chrissy Metz on Breakthrough: Everything Happens as it Should

Chrissy Metz on Breakthrough: Everything Happens as it Should



(RNS) — Everybody knows what it’s like to suffer alongside a loved one in crisis.


That includes Chrissy Metz.


And, the “This Is Us” star said, that’s what drew her to the role of Joyce Smith in the new movie “Breakthrough,” releasing Wednesday (April 17) in time for Easter weekend.


“Breakthrough” dramatizes the true story of Smith, whose 14-year-old son, John, fell through the ice on a frozen Missouri lake in 2015. John spent more than 15 minutes underwater and another 43 minutes with no signs of life — until his mother began to pray over him in the emergency room.


Three weeks later, John walked out of the hospital on his own and without brain damage — something his doctor described to NBC News at the time as a “bonafide miracle.”


The movie depicts how the Smiths’ Assemblies of God church and their community joined in an outpouring of support and prayer for John and how his recovery prompted questions about why some people recover from medical crises and others do not.


Metz said that when she was approached about the film she already was familiar with the Smith family’s story from the headlines — and, to some degree, what they had been through.


About a year ago, she said, her own mother experienced a medical emergency.


The actress was raised Catholic and, “more importantly,” she said, with a connection to a higher power instilled…

… Read More

Click here to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Christian Headlines.

قالب وردپرس

Five Things That Masked the Death of a Church

As we look at the incredible response to the book, Autopsy of a Deceased Church, on its fifth anniversary, I think it’s worth noting why some members were really surprised when their church closed its doors.

“I didn’t see it coming,” commented a member of a deceased church. She knew the church had declined, but she was not prepared for the demise of her congregation. In her church, and in many others, there are at least five things that can trick members into believing their church is doing okay. Here are five things that masked the death of these congregations.

  1. The church had money. In some cases, the church had a lot of money in the bank. Accumulated dollars do not equate to congregational health. In fact, it often points to sickness, even sickness to the point of death. A vibrant bank account is not the same as a vibrant church.
  2. Members still had their friends in the church. This issue masked the death of the church quite often. As long as the members had their holy huddle around them, they were oblivious to the deteriorating conditions around them. The stench of dying and death was masked by the perfume and cologne of friends.
  3. Guests still came to the church. We interviewed one member of a deceased church who was shocked the church had to close because guests came almost every week. If she had looked carefully, though, she would have noted those guests never came back.
  4. Mission giving was still good. Many churches have specific mission funds and missionaries they support with zeal….

… Read More



Click here to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Thom Rainer.

قالب وردپرس

Buying a T. rex and restoring Notre Dame: Our quest for legacy

Would you pay $2.95 million for a baby Tyrannosaurus rex?

The sixty-eight-million-year-old skeleton was discovered in Montana in 2013 by Alan Detrich and his brother. Detrich loaned the fossil to the Kansas University Natural History Museum, then decided to put it up for sale on eBay. Paleontologists warn that the bones are incomplete and shattered in parts. “The asking price is just absurd,” one said.

In other financial news, French President Emmanuel Macron made a televised address yesterday stating that he hopes to rebuild the Notre Dame Cathedral within five years. “That’s what the French expect; that’s what our history deserves,” he stated. As of this morning, nearly $1 billion has been raised for the project.

Building cathedrals and taking selfies

There’s something about us that wants to own, build, or achieve something of significance that outlives us.

We purchase artifacts and other iconic objects of historic value. We erect massive cathedrals that stand long after those who build them. Those of us with lesser gifts as engineers and builders trace our initials in tree trunks and on concrete. We etch the names of those we love on tombstones made of rock.

And we want to memorialize not just our lives but also our memories and will pay a high price to do so.

Sydney Monfries was just weeks from graduation at Fordham University in New York when she died Sunday after falling from the iconic campus clock tower. She was trying to take a picture of the Bronx under moonlight.

Andrea Norton, a twenty-year-old college student from South Dakota, died last Saturday when she fell one hundred feet off a cliff in Arkansas. She had been taking a group photo with her friends.

Last month, a tourist in the Grand Canyon fell to his death while taking a selfie.

From 2011 to 2017, 259 people have died while taking selfies, according to the National Institutes of Health.

A surprising fact about significance…

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Denison Forum.

قالب وردپرس

Aid to the Church in Need wins peace award from Pope’s ambassador to UN

The award is given annually in recognition of a commitment to the development of peace and will come from the Vatican’s permanent observer to the United Nations, Archbishop Bernardito Auza, a Filipino Roman Catholic and President of the Path to Peace Foundation, who support the Vatican’s diplomatic work at the UN and fund humanitarian projects.

Previous winners of the award include former Secretary Generals of the UN, Boutros Boutros-Ghali and Kofi Annan, former President of Poland Lech Walesa and other heads of state.

 

 

ACN were said to be chosen for their emergency and pastoral aid for Christians suffering oppression and discrimination.

The national director of Aid to the Church in Need in the UK, Neville Kyrke-Smith, said: “Such a recognition is both a compliment and a challenge to Aid to the Church in Need. The compliment is to the individual faithful benefactors of ACN who have sustained the Easter hope of the resurrection during the long Good Friday of appalling suffering, in particular in the Middle East.

“The challenge is now for ACN and other charities to empower the local Christian communities to renew their presence and bring a true pathway to peace.”

Dr Thomas Heine-Geldern, the executive president of ACN International, will be presented with the award in New York on 22nd May.

ACN work with Syrian refugees, Christians persecuted in Pakistan and Iraq and…

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس

Israel Folau demands meeting after being dismissed for ‘homophobia’

Folau, 30, has requested a Code of Conduct hearing after his contract was terminated by Rugby Australia, the country’s governing body for the sport.

Chief executive Raelene Castle said the move was “not an unexpected outcome…under the circumstances”. A date for the hearing is yet to be confirmed.

 

Castle added: “After the date for the hearing is confirmed Rugby Australia and the NSW Rugby Union will make no further comment on the matter until the Code of Conduct process has concluded.”

The Wallabies and New South Wales Waratahs fullback had been given 24 hours on Monday to accept his dismissal or request a hearing.

Adam Davy and PA Wire

 

He was sanctioned over a post he published on social media which said homosexuals – among others – were going to hell.

It read: “Warning. Drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists, idolaters. Hell awaits you. Repent! Only Jesus saves.”

Israel Folau/Instagram

 

Announcing Folou’s dismissal on Monday, Rugby Australia said he had previously been warned “repeatedly” about his activity on social media.

A statement said: “It was made clear to him that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.”

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس

Emmanuel Macron sets five-year target for Notre Dame restoration

Mr Macron outlined his hopes for the restoration in an address to the nation on Tuesday night, little more than 24 hours after the fire.

He said France “will rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral even more beautifully” and pledged to “mobilise” as he thanked emergency services and donors who pledged money for the work.

 

In a series of tweets after the address, Mr Macron said: “We will rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral, even more beautiful, and I hope that it will be completed within five years.”

“In our history, we have built cities, harbours, churches. Many have burned or been destroyed, by wars, revolutions, men’s faults. Every time we rebuilt them,” he added.

“The fire of Notre-Dame reminds us that our history never stops, never, and that we will always have trials to overcome.”

Victoria Jones/PA Wire

 

Nearly 400 firefighters battled through the night before the blaze was declared fully extinguished at about 10am local time (8am GMT).

Two police officers and one firefighter were injured, and at one point it was feared the 850-year-old Gothic masterpiece would be completely destroyed in the blaze, which lasted more than 12 hours.

The bells at Westminster Abbey tolled at 5.43pm on Tuesday afternoon – 24 hours after the fire started – and Prime Minister Theresa May announced bells at churches and cathedrals across England would ring in a further show of solidarity on Maundy Thursday.

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس

Crack cocaine and knives surrendered during London church service

Heroin, crack cocaine and five blades were surrendered at SPAC Nation by a “newcomer” following an altar call on Sunday, leaders said.

Senior pastor, Tobi Adegboyega said: “Our determination to clean the streets is stronger than ever before and the items handed in are a testament to that.”

 

The knives and illicit substances are being passed on to police, according to SPAC Nation – which holds a weapon and drug amnesty every week.

Some 113 people gave their lives to Jesus when the altar call was made. SPAC Nation says 1,000 people regularly attend its weekly service.

 

Mr Adegboyega continued: “Each time we take in such items, it means one less person who will go to jail or end up dead.
 
“It is up to us as a community to do what we can to save these young people.

 

“SPAC Nation as a church and a force in the community has a dogged determination and a passion for young people to clean up the streets and give young people hope for their future.

“We will keep on doing this one knife pickup at a time.”

Stay up to date with the latest news stories from a Christian perspective. Sign up to our daily newsletter and…

… Read More



Click Read More to read the rest of the story from our content source/partners – Premier Christianity News.

قالب وردپرس